Serves about 8
Serving Size: 1 cup
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans, ends trimmed and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 8 ounces white or baby bella mushrooms, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme, dried or fresh
- 1 1/2 cups 1% milk
- 3/4 cup 2% Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup French Fried Onions
- Preheat oven to 350F and lightly spray a 2-quart baking dish with cooking oil.
- For crunchy beans, steam over a pot of boiling water until bright green and still crisp, about 3 minutes. For more tender beans, blanch in boiling water for 2-3 minutes, drain and then immediately submerge in an ice bath.
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook for about 12 minutes, until liquid has evaporated and they begin to brown. Add the garlic and thyme and cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Combine mushroom mixture, salt, pepper and parsley in a food processor and process until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Whisk the milk and flour together in a small saucepan until the flour has dissolved. Bring to a simmer over medium heat while whisking constantly until the mixture has thickened to a yogurt consistency, about 8-10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before combining with Greek yogurt and mushroom mixture.
- Toss green beans in sauce and spoon into the prepared dish. Sprinkle the top with French fried onions. Bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes. Serve warm.
Recipe from myfitnesspal blog. More tasty holiday side dishes to be found here.